Make Ahead Turkey Gravy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 pounds turkey wings and necks
- 5 ribs celery chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 head garlic halved
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sauté turkey wings and necks, celery, onion, and garlic in oil in a roasting pan on top of the stove over medium-high until beginning to brown. Transfer to oven, roast 45 minutes, then turn the wings and necks over and roast an additional 45 minutes.
- Add broth to the pan and cook in the oven for 1 hour, or until reduced to 8 cups. Strain stock and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add strained stock, whisking until smooth. Bring to a boil, simmer 2 minutes to thicken, then reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 10 minutes. Finish with vinegar, salt and pepper.
Why struggle to make gravy at the last minute on Thanksgiving, when you can make it a day or two in advance! Just reheat in a saucepan over medium heat. The turkey stock can be made, cooled and frozen for up to 6 months.