Cajun Chicken Stroganoff
This is my son Alec’s favorite dish. If you don’t like spicy, you can use mild Italian sausage and cut down on the cayenne pepper.
- 1/2 pound dry wide egg noodles
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage sliced
- 1/2 pound mushroom sliced
- 1 1/2 pound chicken breast cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon each - paprika, black pepper, salt, dried basil, dried thyme, dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 sliced scallions
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the noodles. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Sauté sausage and mushrooms in 2 Tb oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
- Combine chicken with seasonings, tossing to coat, then dust with flour. Sauté chicken in same sauté pan in 2 Tb oil over medium-high heat until nearly cooked through, about 5 minutes. Push chicken to one side of pan. Add tomato paste and garlic; sauté for 1 minute.
- Deglaze with sherry, simmer until nearly evaporated, then add broth, Worcestershire, and reserved sausage-mushroom mixture. Bring to a simmer and reduce by half, about 5 minutes.
- Off heat, stir in sour cream. Serve stroganoff over prepared egg noodles and garnish with scallions.